So funny story, I just wrote this long review about the app, and then Squaespace froze, and for some reason didn't save my work - even though it saves every other little thing I do. But no worries - back to it again. Hopefully, this version will be a little more concise!
A Beautiful Mess App (for iPhone)
This app is so ABM. From the hot pink Polaroid icon, to the landing page when you open the app, right down to the filters + doodles - everything screams Elsie + Emma. At $0.99 the, A Beautiful Mess App, launched yesterday in the iTunes store. I've been looking forward to the release, as ABM announced the project on their blog last week! If you hadn't guessed already, it's a photo-based app that allows you to add filters (much like Instagram), but you can additionally add content that you would see on the ABM blog - such as Elsie's handwriting, doodles, fonts, speech bubbles, borders, etc. It's a lot of fun to play with, and a lot of the content is completely customizable. Once you've finished editing, the photo is saved to your camera roll and you can share on your choice of social media outlet.
I think it's a great tool for bloggers on the go, or if you're just looking to add a little extra cute to your iPhone images. If you're a fan of A Beautiful Mess, I definitely recommend shelling out the $0.99 to support our favourite blogging ladies
Though I love A Beautiful Mess, the app is not without fault. Take a look below and view my little pros + cons list.
1. The app design is beautiful. Everything is clear, clean and sharp. I really like the interface. The design works well with the current look of the ABM website and their branding. And look at the icon - it's adorable! A pink Polaroid camera? Yes please.
2. I really like the content. I think that the app is really a lot of fun. If you like ABM's photo + design aesthetic (and why wouldn't you - their photos, styling + art direction are pretty fantastic) - then you'll have a blast adding borders and doodles to your photos.
3. I want to support A Beautiful Mess. I love their blog, and their passion to create quality content for their readers. I love the ABM mission to live a creative, beautiful life - making each day special. I think the app is in line with their mission, and I can't wait to see what Elsie + Emma do next.
1. What is actually included in the initial purchase VS. add-ons is deceiving. A LOT of the content is add-ons. I was not expecting this. More specifically I was not expecting that the content featured in the advertising for the app would all be add-ons. This was a little disappointing.
2. No prices listed for in-app add-ons. To be honest, I was actually going to purchase some of the in-app add-ons, but there were no prices listed anywhere in the app. This halted my purchase immediately. I kind of want to know how much I'm paying for a border. To be fair, the prices are listed on the iTunes store - but this is probably something that should be addressed when it comes time for an update.
3. No go-back / undo function when editing. This is probably what I found most frustrating. I know I shouldn't be expecting Photoshop here (and maybe Command + Z has spoiled me), but I'm a very visual person. I really need to see how something looks to know if I like it. I had to scrap several of my images, because there was no "go back" feature.
All in all, I think the app is great. It really captures the ABM aesthetic, and it's a lot of fun. If you take a lot of photos, you can definitely use it to make 'em a little cuter. This venture was obviously a labour of love, and there is a great attention to detail + design which to me, makes it a treat to use + peruse.
I just want to congratulate the ladies at A Beautiful Mess on a fantastic job. I can't wait to make many more little beautiful creations.